Monday, March 18, 2013

Updates and Ear Hair

Sorry for that week long hiatus I just took.  My 2 year old got sick, then my 11 year old got sick, and then my husband got sick just in time for my 2 year old to get infections in both ears.  We had an awesome week.  Let's talk about cancer now, shall we?

So.  Updates.  Sam had chemo #5 last Thursday, which went well.  Huge fist bump to my cousin Nate who made the trek up to Huntsman all the way from Provo to be with Sam.  Thanks bud.  Also, Dad had his white cell count checked on Thursday.  It was fine.  So fine in fact, that he and Mom loaded up the car and drove down to Zions National Park for the weekend.  I got to tend the dog.  Somehow she managed to double her weight in like, 3 days, which probably explains what happened to all the meals my kids SWEAR they ate last weekend.  Sorry Mom.  

Anyway, we had a little shin dig at the folk's house tonight, and I seriously can't even tell you how good Dad is looking.  He hasn't gained much weight back yet (maybe he just needs to come hang out underneath our kitchen table for a few days), but he looks so much healthier.  Even from the day they left, to the day they came back, I noticed a huge improvement.  A weekend of fresh air and good food did him good.  Now he just needs to start gaining weight.  I'm getting a little worried that he might call and ask to borrow my jeans sometime soon.  I'm even more worried that they might actually fit! 

Dad's 3rd chemo treatment is scheduled for Thursday.  He's going into this one much more prepared than he was for the last two.  He's been researching and reading about things he can do to get through this round more easily.  He started a meditation class too.  The second class is tomorrow night and I'm hoping he'll let me tag along.  Two hours of complete silence.  It sounds too good to be true.  

Sam has had a few bad days since his last treatment, today being one of them.  He saw me eating an almond and almost hurled tonight.  Days 7-9 are usually the worst for him, so I'll try to keep my consumption of tree nuts to a minimum over the next few days.  Sorry bro.       

And before I forget, we need to discuss something else of great importance.  Hair loss.  Did you know that chemotherapy causes people to lose not just the hair on their heads, but everywhere else too?  I speak the truth my friends.  Dad recently revealed that his leg hairs have been mysteriously disappearing, only to be followed by his eyebrows.  I'm guessing his nose and ear hair didn't stand a chance either.  But this raises an interesting question.  Where did it all go?  Did it fall out onto his dinner plate?  Did he inhale it?  Personally, I think ear, nose, and leg hair needn't be mourned, but I would love to know where it all ends up.  If it was smart, it would make it's escape in the dark of night and march itself over to the dog bed where it would find the camaraderie it deserves.  Much better than being blown into a Kleenex and thrown in the garbage can.  Or dropped into a chicken caesar salad, only to be chewed up and, um...swallowed.  Just a little food for thought.

A few shots from earlier tonight...

The grand kids looking all bright and shiny.  Except for the one in the yellow shirt, who spent the vast majority of the evening in exactly the state you see here.  Happy birthday to the one in the green pants.  The best St. Patrick's Day present we ever could have asked for 7 years ago. 


My two faves.

And finally?  Dad's selfie.  I'm thinking the lack of nose hair is a look he might want to continue post-chemo.  

And remember how we came up with a solution to the eyebrow situation?

It's looking very promising.

1 comment:

  1. I’m nοt that much of а internеt reaԁеr to be honеst but your blogѕ really nісe, keeр it up!
    I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back in the future. Many thanks

    Also visit my blog; amazon

    ReplyDelete